Contemplating a BFR in 460 or 454, need some insight from owners

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 26 July 2015
corerf posted this 27 April 2015

I own BFR's, need no info on them specifically. Looking for info on the 460. I would like to divest myself of all 44 mag. Id like to move to the 45LC. Im well tooled for the 45 platform.  I am always afraid of accuracy degradation and carbon ring fouling by shooting shorter cases in revolvers. Its a PITA. If I went 460 S&W, id have a really LONG throat in the cylinder which is pointless if going to shoot shorter cases. Id do so only if the 460 can't be loaded down. I know the 460 is a velocity maker with light bullets at traveling at light speed. I don't need that flat a trajectory nor that much wrist pounding all the time. If I go 454, then I can load 454 cases down to 45LC or shoot 45LC (leaving the fouling ring I don't like but less than shooting 45LC in a 460). I want to know about loading DOWN the 460 to 45LC conditions.Also about the 454C loaded down to 45LC. Are there sufficient combinations for loads that will keep me happy from mild to wild for both under loading conditions? I don't want to reinvent a wheel here, if there are caveats please explain. Can the 460 be loaded with BIG HEAVIES??Can the 454C be loaded with BIG HEAVIES??BTW: Speaking of CAST ONLY, I don't do J-bullets in pistols. Can both be loaded down to 45LC cowboy equivalents w/o use of BP?? Please chime in with your experiences in this matter. I need some help in deciding on which platform to go with. Thanks in advance. Mike

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 12 May 2015

I worked on a BFR for a friend that was chambered for the 45-70 and thats the extent of my own usage of said gun ! I however had a S&W in 460 S&W MAG for awhile . The one I had from the bench did very nicely with jacketed bullet handloads at 25 , 50 and 100 yards . Sorry to say I never fired cast in that gun . I messed with a friends Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull some and was not overly impressed (mainly with the gun).  My experience with the 45 Colt has been a bit more having had several Ruger Vaqueros and a couple Marlin lever actions . While they were fun to shoot I was never overly impressed with the 45 Colt cartridge . The extent of my 45 Colt usage has been totally cast . Now based on my limited experience I like the 460 S&W MAG cartridge but I was after it as a handgun hunting cartridge and nothing else .

Attached Files

olesmokey posted this 25 July 2015

Was looking at BFR in 480 Ruger this month at gunshow. Used gun. Guy was asking 800 bucks, he had SRH in 480 for 850 and several Raging Bulls too.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 26 July 2015

Mike: My only thought on this is that you can always just shoot 454 in the 460, for me 454 is a big plenty but the 460 gives you one more option. In my 454 T/C Encore I shoot a lot more rounds of 45 Colt than the Casull, but then you can only kill a tin can just so dead. Gp

Attached Files

Close