.30 cal. vs .357 Mag.

• 4.7K Views
  • Last Post 08 May 2015
K.L. Rogers posted this 24 April 2015

From what I've read a .30 cal. 170gr.+ cast bullet at 1700 to 1800 fps is ok but not the best for deer or hogs in the 100 lbs. class, inside 50 yards or so. would a .357 mag. from a Rossi single shot rifle loaded with a 358429 bullet at about the same speed be better or worse, or about the same? thanks for your thoughts and experance Ken

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 24 April 2015

I have hunted deer with cast bullet loads in rifles of .30-30 class and while they go down, it is normal to follow them up for 100 yards or so, and for this snow or a good blood trail helps.

A .44-40 with 200-grain nearly pure lead bullet of 8 BHN with meplat at least 0.6 of the bullet diameter at 1250-1300 fps kills deer quickly and leaves a better bloodtrail than a 15 BHN 170-grain .30-30 which expands only minimally at 1700-1800 fps.

In a .357 rifle I would prefer a soft 8-10 BHN, 180-200-grain flatnosed bullet with shallow cup point to ensure some expansion, but be confident of through and through penetration at 1400+ fps. The 190-grain Ranchdog bullet in full loads of 10 BHN alloy would be a better performer than a hard cast #359429 which perforates and exits without expanding at all.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

K.L. Rogers posted this 24 April 2015

thank you for your quick reply. the alloy I'm using at the moment is about 7lbs. ww to 3lbs. lino. too hard? thinking I'll go to my .44 mag. rifle which is the same make and model as the .357. Ken

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 26 April 2015

too hard? I'd say yes. my hard alloy is straight ww alloy. my normal alloy is 3 parts ww alloy and 1 part soft lead.

your gonna have a hard time telling a 160gr 357 boolit from a 170gr 30 caliber boolit in the field, especially at velocity's within 150 fps of each other.

your 44 mag will be a bit different as far as internal damage and exit hole diameter. it however will perform differently based on the nose shape, diameter of the flat, striking velocity, and alloy composition.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 27 April 2015

Use the .44 Mag. Like the man said a long time ago, “Use enough gun".

Attached Files

K.L. Rogers posted this 28 April 2015

the .44 load I've played with is the 429421 over 20.5grs of 2400. I also have the Lee 310 grain, which I haven't shot yet. Think I'll pull some alloy from my pot and add  maybe half pure lead. thanks for your advice ..Ken

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 April 2015

when i was shooting 44 mag., the lee 300+ was my best bullet ... well except for recoil ... it liked H110 ...

ken.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 30 April 2015

I have got some of that old 44-40 WRA ammo. Not having a 44-40 I have no idea if it fires or not. 

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 30 April 2015

Chargar wrote: I have got some of that old 44-40 WRA ammo. Not having a 44-40 I have no idea if it fires or not.  How much of it do you have?  I got three .44-40s to feed.   Would be fun to have some old ammo to test.  If it doesn't go bang I can always pull down, replace the dead primers with fresh ones and reassemble them.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 01 May 2015

I would have to count, probably 70 or 80 rounds mixed W.C.F. and Rem-UMC. Tell me how to get these to you and they are yours.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 01 May 2015

These would have to be sent UPS with an

ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms

label on them.

You would probably have to go to a UPS customer service center, as the retail package stores, etc. don't know how to deal with them.

As long as they are tightly packed so that they don't rattle. stuffing tissue in the factory boxes if not full, then overpacking in a sturdy cardboard box they should go OK, no extra hazmat fee should be required. If you local UPS are clueless, FedEx ground would be OK and cheaper if available to you.

I'm happy to reimburse you for shipping costs.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 03 May 2015

I will get them in the mail to you in a few days.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 05 May 2015

Chargar wrote: I will get them in the mail to you in a few days. US Postal Service won't accept ammunition. UPS is United Parcel Service (the brown truck guys) FedEx Ground is also OK and may be cheaper.

Attached Files

K.L. Rogers posted this 05 May 2015

Think I'll pick up some H110 next time I get powder. has anyone used lil'gun in .357 or .44 mag. rifles? Also I have a third Rossi single shot rifle in .45 Colt that also takes .410 shotgun shells. I've never shot it since I thought the long chamber to take the shotgun shells would make it hard to get good groups from. what Mr. Harris has written recently seems to confirm this. thinking I'll trade it for a .30-30. Any thoughts.. thanks Ken

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 06 May 2015

30-30 single shots are a lot of fun.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 06 May 2015

K.L. Rogers wrote: Think I'll pick up some H110 next time I get powder. has anyone used lil'gun in .357 or .44 mag. rifles? Also I have a third Rossi single shot rifle in .45 Colt that also takes .410 shotgun shells. I've never shot it since I thought the long chamber to take the shotgun shells would make it hard to get good groups from. what Mr. Harris has written recently seems to confirm this. thinking I'll trade it for a .30-30. Any thoughts.. thanks Ken It would be worth it to try some .45 Colt rounds to see what it does.  With mild loads and soft bullets it should be about as good as a revolver at the same range. Plinking accurate. A few locals here have successfully loaded Remington .45 Colt 250-grain lead conicals similar to the bullets used in factory loads, but in MagTech 2-1/2” .410 all-brass cases. This reduces the “jump” into the rifling, sort of a “Redneck .45-70".  Use 16 grs. of #2400, card wad over the powder, 1/2” fiber filler wads, then fill the case with granulated polyethylene Grex to 1/4” below the case mouth, then insert and crimp the bullet with a .45-70 seater and then finally resize the case mouth only in a .45 Colt factory crimp die, if it does  not chamber freely.

Attached Files

K.L. Rogers posted this 08 May 2015

the trade didn't work out,so I'll try some of Mr. Harris's sugjestsons. thanks

Attached Files

Close