A confession

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 12 April 2015
Tom Acheson posted this 06 April 2015

1982 to today is about what, 37-years. That's how long I've owned my S&W Model 57 chambered in .41 Mag. All that time I've been sizing the bullets at 0.411". Then on another thread here recently I saw where it was suggested to tap a bullet through the cylinder chamber throats and see how much resistance is experienced. Well a 0.411” bullet took a lot “tapping". Even a 0.410” diameter bullet took some coaxing. I don't have a smaller sizing die. And the resistance is quite a bit more than what the thread I read said it should be.

So why not do a quick range test using the highly cherished 0.001” larger than nominal bore diameter and the “nominal” bore diameter sized bullet?

True, it's only 5-rounds but the photo tells me I may have been doing this all wrong all these years. More testing is needed.

50-yards off the bags. H&G Keith type 220-grain plain base with 16.5-grains of IMR-4227 and FC-150 std. primer in Starline cases.

Looks like I found something to do this summer....

Tom

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 06 April 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=281>Tom Acheson

That is great you can chamber a bullet that large at all when the push test is so heavy for you!

The push test I have recommended is directed at so many newcomers that have loose bullets that shoot all over that place and don't know where to go.

Sure the largest size that will chamber is not a bad thing. I think you are about there!

My recommendation holds well for the guys that are shooting alloys that are harder than they need also. The 1 to 2 pound push does work as a starting point for so many shooters that are new to shooting cast in revolvers. if they are loose they usually do shoot all over the place and lead up bores because they wobble down the bore.

You never had that problem!!!!

It is the guys that shoot .357 bullets in a .357 mag revolver that are real unhappy real fast and calling cast bullets bad names. Cast bullets the same diameter as jacketed bullets just aren't big enough either for revolvers and newcomers just don't get why.  I try to help them.

Gary

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 07 April 2015

Your results still look pretty good. I'm assuming (that word again) that the RH target was the .410s? I'd probably slug the throats and see where that ends up before investing in a smaller sizing die. At least you get to play with the H&G Keith instead of the Lyman bullet that Elmer complained so much about.

But! Any reason to shoot more is always good.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 07 April 2015

The Lyman mould....is it the #410610 that uses a gas check? I have that one and it just does not shoot in any of the .41's I have or had.

Tom

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 07 April 2015

The Keith was 410459. Lyman introduced it without any input from Keith, and hung his name on it. Elmer hated it on sight. Legend has it that he went to H&G and worked with them to design a real Keith bullet for the 41 mag. Your mould is a more authentic Keith design than Lymans.

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 12 April 2015

Gary no!  The 358156hp over 15g 4227 is a real tack driver.  And it has been since I bought it with a note from my mom.  Lyman listed the velocity at 1400fps but that was BS.  Far closer to 1100fps .  In the 8 3/8bbl powder was still unburnt as 2400 wasn't available.  The day before I was off to MCRD SanDiego, I out shot the another shooter with is .303 Br.  I hit 5 out of 6 quart oil cans at 100 yards!  I was 17 and could see etc., it was 6/14/64.  Only in the last few years has it ever seen factory ammo.  As an aside, I learned a while back that 44's in Mod 29 seem to freebore the chambers at .431 with standard jacketed bullets dropping right through.  The Mod 27's will not pass a .357 TMJ hanging out about 1/8 inch.  I'll opine it's to keep the initial pressure down on the 44's.  Leading always blew the accuracy but I'll take credit for that.  Always checked too!  Charlie

Attached Files

Close