Reloading

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 27 July 2015
David Lenz posted this 15 March 2015

My new mould is casting a 200 grain bullet using #2 alloy from Rotometals. I'm looking for any advise or information on loads for a lever action model 94. Knowing this on the heavy side for this round I thought that I might be well served to present this to wide range of CB reloaders. Thanks for any help and advise.                   David Lenz

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 15 March 2015

In my Savage 99 in 30/30, I shoot the 210 grain Lyman 311290 with 30.0 grains of H4895 and am very happy with the load. Velocity is about 1900 f/s.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 15 March 2015

For a real good time read up here on Frank Marshall's BOWM load. Just what you're looking for. He liked slow powders for the BOWM. I'm working with a newly acquired RCBS 30 180 FN that somehow casts closer to 200 gr. so I'll be watching this post.

Attached Files

David Lenz posted this 22 March 2015

Tturner, I am using that same mould, I took Ricins load and a calculator and with some trial and error settled on 26gr. IMR 3031, no signs of over pressure. With #2 alloy I was able to shoot four ten shot groups averaging 2.37” at 100 yards and I included two fliers that must have been my twitchy trigger finger. This was out of a very worn model 94 Winchester. Should get within two inches with a better gun and shooter. Thanks for the help Ricin

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 22 March 2015

David, You are more than welcome! Ric

Attached Files

tomon posted this 30 June 2015

David Lenz wrote: Tturner, I am using that same mould, I took Ricins load and a calculator and with some trial and error settled on 26gr. IMR 3031, no signs of over pressure. With #2 alloy I was able to shoot four ten shot groups averaging 2.37” at 100 yards and I included two fliers that must have been my twitchy trigger finger. This was out of a very worn model 94 Winchester. Should get within two inches with a better gun and shooter. Thanks for the help RicinI bought some GC 314299s that weigh 204 gr. and are sized for my 30-30 Bolt guns.  I didn't find any loads published for the less usual combination.  I'll definitely try this load out with these boolits.  Yes, Don, these are your boolits!  ;)

Attached Files

tomon posted this 26 July 2015

The 204 Grainers fit in my Winchester 54 tight into the lands with the heel right at the shoulder neck junction. No way would it fit in the Remington 788 chamber.  19 out of 20 shot into the black of a 100yd TQ-4 target with aperture sights I am still getting used to and the 26gr. of 3031.   I have 25 more to shoot with this load, and then want to try IMR 4895. 

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 27 July 2015

Watch the OAL of the loaded round. The longer heavy bore rider bullets seated so the driving band kisses the leade are easy to chamber but if you don't shoot the round they can be too long to extract far enough for ejection......been there, done that.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

tomon posted this 27 July 2015

Thank you!  The OAL is WAY over max at 2.80” for 30wcf.  The load I chose for the other 30-30 Bolt gun (my Rem 788) is a Saeco 307 I seated at 2.60".  I used the same powder charge as the other.  

Attached Files

Close