.115 Gr. Cast-GC'd-Powder Coated Bullet In A .32 Mag Revolver?

• Last Post 21 April 2021
mashburn posted this 18 March 2021

Has anyone out there experimented with a 115 grain bullet in a .32 Mag revolver? I purchased a Ruger Single Six revolver about 20 years ago and fired it a little for a few months and since then it has been laying on the shelf resting. I had started a real nice holster when I first purchased the revolver and when I quit shooting the gun, I quit working on the holster. During the recent blizzard, I turned the bar, in my wife's kitchen, into a work bench and finished the holster .I have the urge now to start shooting the revolver again. A few days ago I went out in the shop and found about 250 cases that were already; sized, trimmed and primed. Tonight I inventoried my bullets .I have jacketed bullets in all weights and two different styles of 100 gr. cast bullets. I have a bunch of .115gr. GC bullets that have been powder coated, sized and ready to go These were cast to shoot in a M1 Carbine and a .30-30 rifle..

I would like to come up with a load for these 115gr bullets for my 32 Mag. The bullet is going to be seated in the case much deeper than a 100 grainer, which is going to reduce the volume of the case. What I'm asking you readers, have any of you experimented with such a load. If so please let me know. After digging through all of my jacketed .312 bullet and looking at the price when I bought them and compare that to todays prices makes you glad to be shooting cast.

I like to carry the little Ruger, but where I live sometimes when your out walking in the woods are even your back yard, you may find the need for more fire power that a standard .32 Mag load. I have had several 32-20 revolvers most of my life and they are my favorite caliber, and that is the reason The 32 Mag has been resting all this time.

If there is anyone that has done this please help me out.

Mashburn.

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Michael S posted this 18 March 2021

I do not know anything about the 32 cal other then I saw a few real nice ones on Gun Broker Monday when I was looking around that corner. But I would like to see a picture of the holster. Leather working is my use full hobby as my wife calls it. Bullet casting is my practical hobby.

GOD, United States of America, US Marine Corps, Family, Self

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
Larry Gibson posted this 18 March 2021

Mashburn

I've pressure/velocity tested in my Contender test barrel and velocity tested in my Ruger Single Six (original run)  90, 105 GC'd (313631), 115 gr SWC PB'd 311008 and 115 gr GC'd (311316) in 32 H&R Starline cases.  I've ran tests with numerous powders.  I have some 311316s loaded over Lil'Gun ready to test.  

I've also done a lot of testing of various bullets/powders in the 32 S&WL.

What specific bullets (mould numbers) and powders are you looking at using?

Plinking, target or hunting loads?

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • ALYMAN#1
  • mashburn
delmarskid posted this 18 March 2021

I used some store bought coated cast bullets in my 327 Federal loaded to 32 mag levels. They shot very well with no leading whatsoever. 

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 19 March 2021

Hello Larry,

Thanks for offering your help on .115 gr. .32 mag loads. In my post, I stated that I had quit shooting the Ruger and laid it up on the shelf. In reality I didn't stop shooting .32 Mags. I built a .32 Mag on a Colt Peace Keeper .22. That was one sweet little walk about revolver. In a weak moment a couple of years ago, I traded it to a friend and have regretted it ever since. I tested the little gem with full boogie .32 Mag loads. It stood up to them, but I knew it was going to loosen up in a hurry if I continued to do so, therefore I started shooting milder loads and worked up some good 100 gr. plinking and small game loads.

I have lots of 100gr and 85gr loads worked up. What I need your help on is 115 gr. loads and you seem to have been there and done that .My mold is a Lee mold number 90362, which is a 113gr  GC mold which has a pretty good sized flat nose. I originally bought this mold for my 32-20's and a M1 carbine. I have some bullets  cast from WW's and 3% Tin, Powder coated and sized to  .312 and they fit my cylinder throats perfectly. They weigh 115 grs + or -. i want to work up a good all around load and a heavy load for small game and unfriendly critters. I have a wide variety of powders left over from my years of playing with my revolvers. The Lil Gun looks like it may have some possibilities, but that is one powder that I never used in .32 Mags. I have a load manual that is for 32 Mags only, but I haven't been able to locate it recently. I have 2 shops and have been moving the two into one shop and still have stuff boxed up and piled from here to eternity.

PS- My cases are all Starline and I have every brand of small pistol primers available.

I would greatly appreciate your help with the 115gr project.

Thanks,

Mashburn.

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hello Michael S,

I have never tried posting a picture on the forum and with all of the posts, that I see, I have been afraid to try it. I can, however, send you one through e-mail. I'm going to be taking some pictures in a few days and I will try to remember the holster and email you a couple of pics.

Thanks.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hello delmarskid

What brand of bullets were the store bought bullets that you were shooting?

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 19 March 2021

Following.   I have a Taurus in .327 Fed mag (made only two years).  Much fun.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 19 March 2021

Hello delmarskid

What brand of bullets were the store bought bullets that you were shooting?

Mashburn

Hi I believe that they were Acme brand. They came in a really nice wooden box with jointed corners. My 327 is a Ruger Single Seven. 

Attached Files

ALYMAN#1 posted this 21 April 2021

Any info on 311008 at 115 grs, or Win 32 WCF (old) at 115 gr in Starline cases would be appreciated (for A Ruger SSM). Lyman #47 2nd Ed. has loads for 313631 GC 100 gr. on page 375. Thanks. Al

Currently reviewing Mr Gibson;s post on 32 S&W long and Mr Lee's info in Modern Reloading.  Will work with this.

Attached Files

Close