.455 Webley Loading Experience

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 23 February 2015
Chicken Men posted this 21 February 2015

Hello, New to the forum, but not to casting.  Like shooting the Webley .455 and up until now I have only loaded the Hornaday 265 lead or my own cast 265 using the RCBS mould.  I found an old Lyman 457196 some time back and have cast a set of 50 pcs. today.  Sized to .455” and lubed they weigh 332 grains.  The data I have found on this pattern says it should be 290 grains.  Maybe the base core is different than original.  Anyway, has anyone loaded a bullet of this weight in a .455 Webley? I have a few Smith's, Colt's, & Webleys that I shoot, all in .455. Thanks in advance. Bruce

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 21 February 2015

While I load and shoot the .455, nothing over 305 grains as that is what my #457196 casts from 30/1. It was made in the 1970's and casts at the 290 from Lyman #2 alloy. Combustion volume is so small even in the black powder .88” cases that I ended up using a chronograph to do the load work-up. I settled on 4.5 grains of WW231 for the 265 @ 700 f/s and 3.7 grains of WW231 with the 305 grain @ 625 f/s. I consider these maximum everyday loads.

Hope that is some help. Ric

Attached Files

Thanks Ric, I'll give this a data look.  Below is the actual mould with the core plug and a completed bullet.  I have a copy of "Complete Guide To Handloading” by Philip Sharpe.  It had some load data for the Webley with this bullet, but the powders are Dupont #5 and #6.  These are long obsolete.   All the best.   Bruce

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 21 February 2015

The plug for forming the HB on mine is about twice that long and tapers to a rounded point under the top lube groove.

Lyman/Ideal handbook #39 lists loads for only Colt and S&W revolvers with the long .884” case and the 290 HB bullet. 3.0 grains of Bullseye @ 625 f/s and 5.0 grains of Unique @ 700 f/s.

The plug diff explains the weight variation I have.  Thanks for the info.  Got this mould off gun broker a few years ago and it was not complete.  I cast other patterns for the .45 revolver all the way up to ~400 grains.  This is going to be interesting.   Thanks Bruce

Attached Files

Chicken Men posted this 23 February 2015

It has been cold here in Texas so I had some time to work on this yesterday.  Here is the test revolver and the loaded cartridges with projectiles for comparison.  Projectiles weigh 330 grains.  Using Fiocchi brass.  Hope I can test the load this week. Bruce

Attached Files

Close