30 army

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 09 February 2015
tdoyka posted this 02 February 2015

i have a question about my 30-40 krag. when i started to get the shells out of my tumber, i notced a 30 army. i dicovered that it was either the 30 army or usa, but that was it. my question is when was it roughly made?   super speed30 army

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 02 February 2015

Prior to 1945, I believe. The Western brand head stamped the case for the 220 grain jacketed bullet with a full .308” diameter in front of the neck. This was the original bullet configuration for Krag rifles and Winchester 1895 models. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

thank you!!! i've never seen one before.

:dude:

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 February 2015

Look for a book called: “Handloading” by Mattern, a wealth of knowledge of all things gunny prior to 1925. Ric

Attached Files

thank you

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 09 February 2015

I've got some old:

Rem UMC 30 USA Western 30 USA Peters 30 USG Super Speed 30 Army Super X 30-40 Krag Super Speed 30-40 Krag

Some have 0.080” flash holes (modern dia) and some are smaller.

I discovered the smaller flash holes when they pulled the depriming pin out of my depriming die.

No comments, other than the difference in size of the flash holes.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 09 February 2015

Shucks, most of the hundreds of Krag cases I have are marked that way. Still going strong.

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 09 February 2015

I was referring more to the fact that many of them have smaller flash holes.  Small enough to pull the depriming pin out of the die.

Attached Files

Close