.44 Special

• 12K Views
  • Last Post 11 April 2016
Pigslayer posted this 21 January 2015

Have long been toying with the idea of getting a .44 Special. I'm not into the magnum calibers anymore. I have a .45 Long Colt (I hate saying “Long Colt") & a .38 Special & love them both. Very comfortable shooting handguns & very accurate to boot. So, I'd like to get some advice/opinions on the .44 Special. Please chime in. Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
M3 Mitch posted this 11 April 2016

Pigslayer wrote: Am looking at the Colt New Frontier in .44 Special. Hmmmmmm. If it's in good condition and you don't pay too much for it, you can shoot it for a long time, if you decide to sell on or trade, probably will have plenty of takers. 

I don't own a .44 Special, but do have a M29 Smith, I don't hear any complaints about the .44 Special, outside of what's already been said about firing a lot of Specials in a Magnum chamber or cylinder. 

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 10 April 2016

After lapping the barrel in my new Ruger NMBH .44 Special due to thread choke and having the cylinder throats reamed by cylinderhone.net I now have a tack driver!! A 255 gr SWC driven by 4.2 grs. Titegroup is putting shot after shot in a 1” circle at 7-1/2 yds. & a 2” circle at 15 yds.! That is at a standing position with a rest. I'm a happy camper!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 10 September 2015

Pigslayer; I live 45 minutes away from the NMLRA range at Friendship, IN. They don't have permanent benches there. Shooters just bring their own portable benches.

In one afternoon, I built a nice, sturdy and perfectly workable bench for shooting both pistol and rifle off. I have shot groups at five hundred yards of six inches with my Black Powder cartridge rifle using this bench.

If your range will allow you to use a portable bench then that would solve your problem. If this is of interest to you, I can send you some info on the bench (with pictures). If you are interested, send your email address in a P.M. to me.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 07 September 2015

Pat, I like that hand gun. How long is the barrel? It's a shame you have to sit to shoot it. It looks like it could hang out there real nice.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 07 September 2015

Took my new toy to the range today & it turned out to be a good shooter. At 15 yds. I'm shooting 3” groups on a very “unsteady” rest. I know that I can get it to shoot better than that though. We have a absolutely beautiful range but are restricted to using a standing position when shooting a handgun. Would really like to sit down with a real good rest to definitively insure that my sights are correctly adjusted. I think that I will go to my wood shop & create/make an adjustable hgt. rest to accommodate my standing position.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 05 September 2015

Nice. That looks like many days of good times. Congratulations. )P Ed, what about those BP .44 Mags.? I like the way you think.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 04 September 2015

Sluged the barrel & throats in my new .44 Special. Throats are reading .4315 to .432. Groove diameter is pretty much right on at .4295. Even though my H&I sizing die is stamped .431 it's running a little large and that's a good thing. Bullets don't fall through the throats for sure as I've tried it. The cylinder throats are really long in this revolver.

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 03 September 2015

Dang, Dale! Them are ugly in a beautiful way!

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 03 September 2015

I have a two cavity Cramer Style mould from Mihec that turns out very nice hollow point versions of the 250 gr. Keith (H&G #503). These will expand to about .80 caliber at modest velocities:

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/MiHecCramerStyleBulletMould-3207.jpg.html>

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 September 2015

Alas, I no longer own any .44 Specials. I am a heretic because I prefer to load the .44 Magnum brass down to obtain about 900-1000 fps using Bullseye powder and the same 200-230 grain Accurate 43-200Q and 43-230G bullets which I use in .44-40.

I sold my S&W .44 Hand Ejector 3rd Change 5” barrel .44 Special to pay for custom work on my three Ruger revolvers so that I have 5-1/2” Super Blackhawk with steel XR3 grip frame, 5-1/2” original Vaquero and 7-1/2” original Vaquero which all have interchangible cylinders for .44-40 and. 44 Magnum.

Next experiment for pure academic curiosity is to try black powder in the .44 Magnum, because I can!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 03 September 2015

I took my S&W 44 mag out today. I loaded some at 44 special speeds and had a ball. 7g of aa5 and the lyman 245 keith bullet lubed with lithium grease-bees wax. The stupid steel cowboy targets never got off a shot at me.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 02 September 2015

Just got word from the gunshop; I can pick up my .44 Special on the 4th (Friday). Yahoooo!!

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 01 September 2015

Pat

I have a 4 cav Keith 429421 clone by MiHec I am going to part with. Brass and just can't do long sessions with it with my bad/rebuilt/old shoulders. Got a 2 Cav Lyman so I do not hurt after a casting session.

If you are interested, shoot me a pm and we can talk turkey. Casts great, just beats me up.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 29 August 2015

Looks as if it has the Keith nose--a proven winner for accuracy and effectiveness in hunting situations. In short, subject to folks who know more on this subject than I, I'd say you made an excellent choice.

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 29 August 2015

Pigslayer wrote: Am going to order the Accurate 43-250J SWC for my .44 Special. Thinking about sending it off to Hollow Point Conversion after I receive it.

Attached Files

Am going to order the Accurate 43-250J SWC for my .44 Special. Thinking about sending it off to Hollow Point Conversion after I receive it.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 29 August 2015

Happy for ya Pat. A 44spl is on my ever increasing list of gotta haves. Gp

Attached Files

oscarflytyer wrote: So... How do you like it Pat? Happy? Hope so!
Here in the “Police” state of Maryland we have a 10 day wait. Yep, the good old background check. I paid the balance in full on 8/26 when I found out that it had arrived so . . . . . . . I'll have it in my hands at the end of next week. Yes, I'm chomping at the bit here. Want to be able to mic the groove & cylinder throat diameter. Pat

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 27 August 2015

So... How do you like it Pat? Happy? Hope so!

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 25 August 2015

Just curious. Makes sense to me. Some years ago, my son was able to procure a Ruger .44 Spl. At a good price. He enjoyed it so much, that he never went Magnum. Just didn't feel the need. He shot my .44 mag.whenever he wanted and got Dear Old Dad to reload all his .44's. Talk about win-win!

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close