Pound cast

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 02 September 2015
shootzem6.5 posted this 04 January 2015

Hello, im interested in doing a pound cast of my Savage 340B/222 rem., but im concerned that the 225646/55gr. bullet isnt tall enough to sufficiently fill the  inch or so after the chamber. Ive considered pouring a 1 to 1.25 inch long .224 slug but i dont know what kind of material would be suitable for 650 degree melt. I know more powerful .22s have heavier/longer bullets. Can someone recommend a cast bullet or method so i can move this project off the back burner? Thank you.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 04 January 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8712>shootzem222

You don't need to be completely setup for casting to make a bore slug. Drill a hole in wood, use a ladle to directly torch melt pure lead and pour it into the hole.

Although that will work with lead you can just as easily use a dedicated chamber cast alloy and pour a chamber throat casting. Good, simple to use product with instructions right on the product page:

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/chambercastingalloy.htm

reusable lifetime supply $15.99

Gary

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 04 January 2015

PM me your address and I'll send you some ~80 grain 22 bullets.If you fill a case with lead or epoxy to ~ 1/4” below the mouth, then put a bullet in, chamber it-then forge the bullet.If the bullet is too big to chamber, sand it down.  

joeb33050 posted this 04 January 2015

The easiest way is to make a sulfur chamber casting, or a few of them. They don't change dimensions like cerrosafe, sulfur is available through drug stores, it's sorta fragile but measures well. I make a few, it's easy.

Attached Files

shootzem6.5 posted this 04 January 2015

Really appreciate yours and Joebs replies and experience, ive downloaded both for future reference. Joeb PM sent.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 January 2015

easy source for soft malleable lead is ... are ... 22 rimfire bullets. melt them in a spoon and make a smooth sided slug ..in a woodem hole or groove ... the grooves in a regular cast bullet don't upset very well when ” pounded ” .

use a lot of lighter taps ... you are pounding on your bolt lugs ( and stock bedding, but i hold the barrel . ) . about a hundred light taps should do it ... you can tell when the slug is fully upset by the sound of the whack ... tink instead of thudd ...

ken

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 04 January 2015

What Ken said.

And when the rod starts to bounce back, you got it.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 05 January 2015

It seems to me that a heavy hammer with many light taps works better than a lightweight hammer with faster hits.

I always cringe a bit at the term pound cast.  Maybe a bit picky but what you get is a cold forging not a casting.

Maybe only one cent worth.

Attached Files

shootzem6.5 posted this 05 January 2015

Thanks guys. 1 cent is more than i have now!

Attached Files

shootzem6.5 posted this 25 January 2015

Since making this cast ive been looking at it with a 10x loupe and have become concerned about the depth of rifling groove. Thats the groove caused by the Land. (nomenclatures a challenge) On the cast it is very shallow and this makes me ask, when is a barrel “shot out"? Would 40-50 years of JB shooting cause enough wear to reduce the height of the land? Another thing ive noticed, this is a right hand twist, what is indicated by their being more wear on the right side edge(shoulder?) of the groove. With a mechanical pencil-.5mm lead, i can just feel the left shoulder and barely, if at all, feel the right shoulder. With the loupe it “appears” the same but thats wear it stops, we all know what appearances are worth. Lastly i have to admit the 4 lb. hammer was too much, i set the case shoulder back cocking the neck slightly, not the kind of work i do.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 26 January 2015

Fill your swollen fired case with epoxy to bottom of case neck or half way up case neck. After epoxy cures in case then insert pure lead bullet into case neck, chamber in rifle, then pound or tap until taps sound solid...it does not take much tapping for lead to form to chamber. Raising bolt to unchamber cast will be slightly difficult, but when bolt is fully raised I lightly tap out cast with rod.

Attached Files

shootzem6.5 posted this 26 January 2015

ill be iin the shop this week, ill try your method and post back. thanks  john

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 02 September 2015

False oversize readings can result if a pound cast is done incorrectly. If cast is pounded excessively bolt will not open because lead is swollen excessively.

Attached Files

Close