Star lube sizer

• 6.3K Views
  • Last Post 18 June 2016
goodsteel posted this 28 December 2014

Hey fellers,   I recently got a nice old model Star Lube sizer. For the most part, I think it's the cats meow, but I have several problems that just drive me bonkers.  The biggest is that the handle is made of a piece of 3/8” cold rolled steel rod. Unless I am pushing soft 45 bullets through there, it's just about all it can do to push a bullet through without bending the handle. It has crossed my mind to replace the CRS rod with a length of 3/8” Thompson Case rod (good luck bending that!) but I worry about breaking the nose off the press that holds the die.Thought about making the hot plate longer so that it actually extends under the nose and supports it from beneath and has a hole the bullets can pass through.  Just the other day I used it to size a whole coffee can full of 429421 bullets made of my house alloy of 95.6/2.2/2.2 WQ and aged for three days. I bent the handle so many times I lost count, and twice I had to remove the die from the press and use a punch in the quil of the milling machine to push the bullets out (which is really frustrating because they actually weren't stuck all that bad.  I prep all my bullets with lanolin case sizing lube, and every fifth bullet goes through the die twice to keep lube running through there.  The dies are made by lathesmith.  Please help? 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 28 December 2014

I have and use some of his dies and I do not suspect an issue with the die.  I would ask if you are sizing grossly oversized bullets, or if they are Heat Treated or quenched from the mold.  The Star does not have any mechanical advantage like some other machines.  If you are quenching from the mold, you might end up running the extra hard, or oversized bullets through the Lee push through to get close and then lube and size that last .001 through the Star. 

My machine is an older used Star and no bending problems with mine.  Oh, is the top punch correctly located?  Sometimes the threaded portion of that punch has been adjusted to the point where it is contacting the die and those parts are just not going to give, but the castings may fail.  Duane

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 28 December 2014

Gosh goodsteel, what size are the 429421's as cast and what size are they coming out of Lathesmith's die. I have his dies, Star dies, and one other guy from days of old I can't think of right now and have never ever bent a handle.

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 29 December 2014

In no way do I suspect Lathesmiths dies as being the problem. I only mentioned it in the spirit of giving a complete description of my equipment. The bullets are water dropped and measure .4345 as cast, and I am sizing them to .433. However, I have experienced this issue with nearly every caliber I have tried (no, it's not the punch. If the punch was contacting the die, I would have lube squirting around the base of the bullet and none in the lube grooves.) The only time I did not experienced this was when sizing H&G 68's cast of range lead. They pushed through like butter.

Attached Files

NuJudge posted this 30 December 2014

The 2 Stars I have give me the same trouble. The Star directions that came with one of them said to occasionally send an already sized and lubed bullet through the press occasionally. The more often I do that, the less problem I have with bending the handle.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 31 December 2014

I used a Star for about 40 years; the way to overcome your problem is to run 1 or 2 lubed bullets back through the die to keep the bore lubricated. This bit of information came with the instructions from Star. Jim

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 31 December 2014

cityboy wrote: I used a Star for about 40 years; the way to overcome your problem is to run 1 or 2 lubed bullets back through the die to keep the bore lubricated. This bit of information came with the instructions from Star. Jim I guess you didn't read the OP where I said this:"I prep all my bullets with lanolin case sizing lube, and every fifth bullet goes through the die twice to keep lube running through there. “

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 02 January 2015

As I am reading through the string of replies, the one subject not fully discussed is the hardenss of the bullets and the method of hardening. The replies may be comparing different scenarios that affect the answer.

First, I believe the design parameters on the Star are for high-volume and relatively soft bullets. The observations about not pushing too hard for fear of breaking the casting are relevant. My Star is mounted on a 2 X 6 with a hole drilled for the bullet drop to fully support the casting. Don't force the machine too far!

I bought an used Star Lubri-sizer about forty years ago with the handle well-curved. The price was cheap and I was told it was worn out, that is why it was cheap. Working with it, the o-ring had deterioriated, crumbled, and pieces were partially blocking the lube passage. Thorough cleaning, new o-ing and it was working fine. 

My experience with water dropped bullets that are allowed three days to harden is they are very hard, possibly 30 on the Rockwell C scale. This may be the root of the problem in that there is little mechanical advantage and the bullets are strongly resisting. Sizing the bullets within three hours of casting may alleviate the problem. 

The reason I say this is my uncle used the same water drop method to harden 200 grain .45 ACP SWC pistol bullets. When I wanted to try a different lube on his bullets, I boiled them, cleaned them and sent them through the Star. The same situation, the handle needed great effort and these were .452 bullets going trough a .452 die. Discussing the experiment with my uncle, he observed that he immediately sized the bullets because he could not get them through the dies when he waited more than three hours.  

When shooting the water-dropped bullets into a flat steel plate, they powdered into tiny crystals rather than the usual slugs. They were hard. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

caso posted this 18 June 2016

thank you for reply

http://www.gclub-online.com/>gclub

Attached Files

Close