RCBS 308-200-SIL 308 Caliber Cast Bullet

• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 24 December 2014
OU812 posted this 18 October 2014

Is the  RCBS 308-200-SIL 308 Caliber bullet a good bullet to taper bump to match throat. I know it has a long tapered nose, but what are the dimensions. Would it be worth the effort to chamber a barrel around this bullet. Are their better options?

Should I give LBT a call? 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mrbill2 posted this 18 October 2014

Check out the 200 and up bullet molds at Accurate Molds.Tom can make you one to fit your chamber with the taper in the mold. I did 31-220-T. In my gun oal.is long, 3.090 sized to .310

mrbill2

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 19 October 2014

Are the Accurate molds easy to cast with? I know RCBS molds are very user friendly and more affordable.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 19 October 2014

Yes, RCBS molds are good quality and less expensive. I like them but all the molds that I have from them needed lapping to make them fit. Pretty much a toss up on what you get.

Don't have any Accurate molds but if they are made to fit throats, that's where the extra cost comes in.

Spend your money once or twice .......?

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 19 October 2014

I think I will stick with my NOE 30XCB 165gr bullet. I can always taper bump it if need be. This mold is also very easy to cast with. It has the optional plug in mold thermometer that helps make casting easier. This aluminum mold reaches a temp of 420 when casting...I pre heat mold to 420 with propane torch before getting started

mrbill2, Thanks for the advice. I have different 197gr NOE (bore ride) mold on order that looks very much like the 31-220-T

tomme boy posted this 20 October 2014

Thats wrong version. I shortened the nose and it ended up at 188gr. Al should be running it next week

Attached Files

rockquarry posted this 20 October 2014

I've had one of the RCBS 200 grain silhouette moulds for about twenty-five years. I have no such bullets cast at the moment for measuring, but bullets from my mould had an undersized nose and did not shoot with any degree of accuracy. I don't recall figures for base / body, but those may have been on the small side as well.

Hopefully, dimensions were corrected in later moulds.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 20 October 2014

tomme boy wrote: Thats wrong version. I shortened the nose and it ended up at 188gr. Al should be running it next week tomme boy, i went back and reposted the updated version. I like this 188gr. version more

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 20 October 2014

rockquarry wrote: I've had one of the RCBS 200 grain silhouette moulds for about twenty-five years. I have no such bullets cast at the moment for measuring, but bullets from my mould had an undersized nose and did not shoot with any degree of accuracy. I don't recall figures for base / body, but those may have been on the small side as well.

Hopefully, dimensions were corrected in later moulds.   RCBS recommends casting their rifle bullets using strait linotype. Softer alloys will shrink more causing smaller diameter bullets.

You take a chance when ordering any mold. Good thing Midway has a very good return policy. I have returned a couple of other  mold brands that did not fit my rifle or gas check shank was too large.

Attached Files

tomme boy posted this 20 October 2014

I wanted to shorten up the nose on the original design. The 180 gr version would be a little better if you want to shoot fast. But this is what I ended up having made. It should work good up to about 2200 fps or a little higher depending on the twist of your barrel.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tommeboy/media/NOE_Bullet_Moulds_311_188Gr_FN__188_gr_Sketch_zps3eb7ec18.jpg.html>

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 22 October 2014

RCBS made two versions of this mold; the second version has a wider nose, i.e., the taper is greater and the nose fits tighter sooner. I talked to RCBS about this mold many years ago at a NRA Annual Meeting, they explained the design concept is a heavier bullet that reached into the leade. The RCBS 30-180-SP was selling well, but the shooters were asking for a heavier bullet.  I have both versions. With the first version, setting the bullet out to engrave when chambered with a hard bolt close was the only way it would shot and still lit would produce uncalled flyers. These flyers were often in the seven or eight ring at 10:00 o'clock, a perceivable pattern. With the second version, setting the bullet out as above did not produce the flyer pattern. The molds shot well enough to be intriguing and a source of wonderment. I have always liked RCBS molds for their quality and ease of use. I have thought of lapping the molds and now that I am retired, this project is a possibility. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 23 October 2014

Any idea what the newer version included angle or angle per side of bullet is? Can you post bullet diameter at nose and in front of front drive band?

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 23 October 2014

With a hard alloy, well-used linotype, the area in front of the driving band is .302 and the nose where the taper begins in .299; you must seat the bullet out to get engraving marks. This was for the second series mold that left witness marks on the center of the taper in contrast to the first series which only left witness marks at the top of the taper near the driving bands.

At the time I was shooting the mold, my normal Pb/Sb/Sn ally was  94/4/2 which cast about .001 smaller. When that alloy was gone, the bullet began shooting better with fewer flyers due to increased size and hardness.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 24 December 2014

I had over looked this thread. I have this mold and this is the dimention it casts for me in #2 alloy. The taper is .586 deg. or 35 minutes. Frank

OU812 posted this 24 December 2014

Thank you sir.

Attached Files

Close