10ga. ducks

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 12 June 2014
bandmiller2 posted this 07 June 2014

Back in my youth there wasn't a day I didn't have a gun in my hands. Usally ducks were on the menue. Steel shot was for the red ryder lead for ducks. My goal was a 100yd. duck load. Had a big old double 10ga. with 30” barrels full and fuller. I tried everything but the patterns and penetration pooped out at 80yds. The big ten is gone, now I'am an old man and don't want to lug that cannon through the marsh. Mayby now with heavy shot slower powder and better wads I could make 100yds na let the young guys figure that out. Frank C.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
400jeffery posted this 07 June 2014

Well back in my younger days lead was king too, always will be.  But sometimes adjustments must be made.  Been doing 10 ga. since 1979, still filling them up today, but with ITX instead and you can bet the pattern is much tighter than lead ever could be

onondaga posted this 07 June 2014

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=5654>bandmiller2

Try something new. Here is what gives me 100 yard killing patterns at least successfully on Coyote with Buck Shot. Carlson's makes a rifled screw-in choke that is compatible with Win Chokes and is an unusual one. It is designed for 2 purposes. Carlson's rifled choke tube works with rifled slugs, sabots and round balls of course, but Carlson also brags this choke turns your shotgun into a 100+ yard Turkey killer with bird shot.

I believe Carlson's and use this choke Turkey hunting with #2 shot and Coyote hunting with “O” Buck. I get a less than 20 inch pattern with Buck Shot at 100 yards using this choke:

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-style-details.php?cts=25>http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-style-details.php?cts=25

It is available for a variety of choke systems in addition to Winchester.

Gary

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 07 June 2014

I grew up with a pair of 10 gauge guns which I still happen to own ! No they aren't 3 1/2” guns but rather older 2 7/8” guns . Ones damscus and the others fluid steel .  It is my intention to sometime in the semi near future to take a pair of ducks and a goose or two with the damscus gun just because it was my maternal grandfathers . With that being said I plan to load “Nice Shot” #2 for both . This is the same stuff RST loads in their waterfowl loads for nice old doubles . The qualities of this stuff is very similar to lead so generally you can load with the same wads you would use for lead and the same powder charges maybe a grain or two less .  We have a young fellow in the shop who main obsession is waterfowl . So I think I may go with him a time or two this year . I've never killed a duck or goose ! But I wanna do it with my old W&C Scott just so I can say I did !  http://s50.photobucket.com/user/6pt-sika/media/10%20gauge%20shotguns/10gaugeguns007.jpg.html>http://s50.photobucket.com/user/6pt-sika/media/10%20gauge%20shotguns/10gaugeguns006.jpg.html>http://s50.photobucket.com/user/6pt-sika/media/10%20gauge%20shotguns/Dove2.jpg.html>http://s50.photobucket.com/user/6pt-sika/media/10%20gauge%20shotguns/12-18-10eveninghunt003.jpg.html>

Attached Files

The first 10 gauge 3 1/2” I had was a Remington SP-10 from the orginal 1989 run . I actually bought that thing to turkey hunt as the bug had bit me at that time for the big birds . After 6 or 7 years it got traded off for something . About 4 years ago I got it in my head I wanted a 3 1/2” 10 again so first I bought a very nice used Ithaca MAG-10 Field grade . Then later I got an Ithaca MAG-10 DeLuxe which was closely follwed by a Browning BPS . The pair of Ithaca's were okay but a bit LONG they both had 32” full choke barrels . The BPS however had a 28” invector choke barrel and it did wonderfully with 00 Buck and slugs . I shoulda kept the Browning but to be honest I derive a hell of alot more pleasure out of the old double guns then I ever have out of a pump or semi auto .

Attached Files

400jeffery posted this 07 June 2014

I can identify with that progression of firearm actions 6-pt.  Back in the 60's it was all about the pumps, then in the 70's and early 80's it became the A-5's and Charles Daley copies, oh but then one just had to have one of those new slick Remington 1100's.  Well, now it's the new millennium, and the only shotgun I feel right at home with is the double, and I do not mean a O/U.  There is just something about going afield with a traditional SxS field shotgun. Just kinda gives you that historic sense as you walk down that old forest logging road, or as you are hunkered down behind that blind at the edge of the water.:D

Attached Files

400jeffery wrote: I can identify with that progression of firearm actions 6-pt.  Back in the 60's it was all about the pumps, then in the 70's and early 80's it became the A-5's and Charles Daley copies, oh but then one just had to have one of those new slick Remington 1100's.  Well, now it's the new millennium, and the only shotgun I feel right at home with is the double, and I do not mean a O/U.  There is just something about going afield with a traditional SxS field shotgun. Just kinda gives you that historic sense as you walk down that old forest logging road, or as you are hunkered down behind that blind at the edge of the water.:D

Actually my father was kinda particular about what you brought in our home ! You started with a single barrel and then graduated to a side by . Over unders were allowed but we weren't really flush enough in the 60 or 70's to be buying Browning Superposed's as he didn't want any Jap guns in the house ! He was also adamantley against pumps and semi's . Although I think he would have bent a shade for a A-5 and possibly a Model 12 skeet or trap gun . I must confess at the moment the only shotgun we have in the pump or semi persuasion is a Remington Model 48 16 gauge . But O/U , SxS and single barrel are another story . 

Incidently after years and years of bird hunting as well as ALOT of years playing the shotgun games I can pretty much shoot a SxS as well as an O/U . To be totally honest when ever I go to a big dove shoot anymore I carry a side by and an O/U , generally 7 or 8 are killed with one and the rest with the other ! Only dove hunt I went on last year during the September season ! Used my Utica AH Fox A Grade 16 gauge circa 1930 and a Browning Superposed 20 gauge circa 1951 . 9 with the 16 and 6 with the 20 gauge with 45 shots in 2 hours . Best dove day I've had in 20 years . Matter of fact it was the first time in 20 years I got a limit or was even in a field I could get a limit ! http://s50.photobucket.com/user/6pt-sika/media/Dove%20Hunt%209-14-13/9-14003_zpsdacd0de4.jpg.html>

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 08 June 2014

Jesus I feel OLD when I say things like I've had this or that for 30+ years or I haven't done that in 25 years etc etc etc ! Reminds me of my dearly departed grandfather or my still alive and kicking father telling stories .  Wow it sucks when one REALIZES they are getting old :(:shock::(:shock::( I was talking to me best bud who's been my friend since we were 5 years old , we've know each other 48 years OH MY GOD :doooah:

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 08 June 2014

Sika, you have some fine old birdguns. I have one of the last LC Smiths that came out of the old Fulton plant its a 16 ga 26” barrels and patterns IC/Mod. I'am partial to doubles and the SKB's Ithica imported for a wile have a 20 and 12 ga. Frank C.

Attached Files

bandmiller2 posted this 08 June 2014

Gary, that sounds almost to good to be true, I better check if they make a remchoke  compatable as that's the only screw in I have on a 870. What do you think causes such tight patterns usally any rifling slings the shot out, mayby its a super tight choke. Frank C.

Attached Files

400jeffery posted this 08 June 2014

Well 6-pt, I don't remembering anyone I was around back in the 60's or 70's that was flush enough to have much of anything but Harrington & Richards or maybe a Savage. My Dad got rid of all his guns back when he went to the Pacific in 41, most didn't think they would be coming back, so when he did, he had nothing at the time to hunt with. He got a H&R bolt action, tubular magazine 16 ga shotgun and had that until sometime around 1950 when Mom got him a Remington semi auto, that must have cost her most of any saving for a year.  My first shotgun was a bolt action, 2 shot box magazine Savage 16 guage with a poly choke on it and hunted with it for 17 years..never got my Browning A-5 til 1981, and a 1100 in 83.. still have the Savage 16, and try to get out every year to hunt with it, kinda reminds me of me roots. But ya, I do like the side by side.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 08 June 2014

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=5654>bandmiller2 Carlson's makes that choke for Remington too. it is right on the page I linked. I had unusual results with the rifled choke, It threw my Lee 12 ga slugs all over the place, but it nicely tightened up my 12 ga round ball groups. I originally got it just for slugs so that was a disappointment....until I tried it with the round balls and then #2 shot and Buck Shot. That made the purchase worth while to me.

The rifled choke does have.010” constriction and that is a tight choke. Some reports say that spinning the shot-cup off right at the muzzle is what tightens up shot groups. I don't get that principle at all.

Frankly, I don't know what makes the thing work and gambled buying it. It did not help with my slug loads but it did help with round balls and shot for serious tight groups for turkey and coyote. I am sure this varies from gun and load to gun and load. It is also NOT cheap! It might be worth a gamble to you.

Gary

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 12 June 2014

About three days ago I took the breasts from three mallards and sliced them up like one would cut beef teryaki , rinsed them and put them in a covered plastic container with “Yeri Yeri Teryaki Sauce” . They stayed in the frig from tuesday evening until this AM . Yesterday I had added a can of sliced mushrooms , a can of sliced water chestnuts and a can of baby corn .  Then today at the shop I sort of slow cooked the whole mess for about 30 minutes !  Served over steamed white rice it was rather tastey and I'm not a big eater of the dark meat from poultry !  Next week I may try the same thing with the breast of a Canada Goose ! 

Attached Files

Close