Powder Coat

• 5.4K Views
  • Last Post 15 July 2014
gpidaho posted this 01 June 2014

Hello All , I tried powder coating some bullets for the first time yesterday. Not quite a mirror finish but looks more than adequate for handgun use and stays on very well through a Lee sizer die.  Which brings me to this. I have an old 762x54R whose bore is too fat for its neck. Slugged at .315x.305 .317 throat. A fired case without sizing will accept a .314 bullet with thumb pressure. Maybe PC would be the way to go.   Thoughts?    Maybe I should read my own motto.   GP

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 01 June 2014

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8045>gpidaho

Think about your fired case without sizing. Firing pressure expands the case and then there is incomplete spring back. Your .317 throat will take a .317 bullet if your measurement is correct.

Without sizing, just prime and case mouth flare the brass with a Lee Universal Expander Die. Then, seat a .317” bullet and close the flare with the seating die or Lee FCD.

If they chamber, and they should! you will have an easy loading routine and the right size bullet for your throat with the best accuracy potential.

Gary

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 01 June 2014

Gary , Agreed dosnt get much better than prime and recharge,  I opened up a Lee C312-185-R as per your method. It now drops .3155. after much self congratulating on a job well done I loaded one up, would not chamber, Same COL after sizing to .314 seats with thumb pressure and chambers fine. Seating depth is no problem, los of room. Just seating so there is .300 in case.  A friend opined I should have just taken on a fourteen year old foster child,as the lad would cause me less problems than this old rifle      GP

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 June 2014

Need a Lee Case Trimmer length gage and shell holder for 7.7?

Got one, free to good home.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 03 June 2014

Ed No Im good but thank you for the thought. GP

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 03 June 2014

Hope I get better at this computer thing soon. When I spread things out it helpfully tightens them up for me. OH well. GP

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 June 2014

if it me, i would neck diameter turn or sand down a couple thousandths on three brass cases' necks. then load your 0.3155/0.3165 bullets and shoot some 3-shot groups.

if they look better, it might give you the energy to turn down some more. ( g ) .

turning brass just 0.001 on radius is hard to do, i would do that few with 100 grit sandpaper, not professional but meets my lazy-boy standards.

ken

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 04 June 2014

Thanks Ken, I Gave that thought as I have a Sinclair Premium Neck Turning Tool I used a lot over in the J world. The brass is only .011 on the Win. brass im using and new brass seems to be in short supply. Could probably go down to .009 okay but just trying to make it last.  See next post         GP

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 04 June 2014

Good evening all:  Im going to walk out a little farther on the heresy limb. at the same time not wishing to bore you all with a lot that can be found all over the web. I took the afore mentioned old battle rifle to the range today. I fired twenty rounds of Lee CTL 312-160-R Powder Coated no gas check, sized .314 (.003 under optimum) over 11gr. Unique. NO LEADING easy clean up.  While there I fired fifty rounds of Saeco #62358 Cowboy RNFP Powder Coated over 4.5 Bullseye in my GP-100 .357. Accuracy was on par with conventionally lubed bullets. A couple wet patches, three dry bore was clean. In these specific instances they worked great for a first try.  That being said I would be reluctant to try this method for any accuracy load without a lot more experience than a first try. They seem not to lead even shot undersized. With that I think Im done monkeying with this old Polish rifle for awhile  Im going to let some of the youngsters use it to scare the crap out of some ground squirrels.   GP

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 13 July 2014

I see on the “other” cast bullet site this powder coating is becoming very popular. I am curious though..since this is a type of paint..the fillers listed for these powder coatings contain Baryte..one of its uses is a friction promoting agent for use in autos..wonder just how abrasive these coatings are?

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 13 July 2014

My cast bullets all contain, at least in part, reclaimed lead, WW old linotype or range scrap. I believe I probably have larger abrasion issues than what may be in the powder coat.  GP

Attached Files

Tech posted this 15 July 2014

My 2C The flat black looks like sand paper and feels a little sticky in the sizer. The gloss colors will bonk your head on the press as your hand hits the floor they are so slippery. If it feels abrasive it just might be. If it feels like slug slime I don't worry about it too much.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 15 July 2014

Tech: Hope you and Ric are still on for the tests. Like casting, the more you coat the easier it gets and the better they look. GP

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 15 July 2014

OH yeah! We are working on it, and prepping for tests! Ric

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 15 July 2014

Very interested in this one. I have some projectiles from the gracious Mr Idaho and will be trying them out myself. I am very intrigued. What about velocity,,,

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 15 July 2014

Vassal:  Ive found in my testing, .357 and .41mag, that you can push softer bullets faster without any sign of leading if they are coated rather than lubed. I havent found upper end yet but have reciently purchaced a 22 inch .357 Handi rifle and intend  to find out at least in .357 that might be at say 9-11 BHN.  GP

Attached Files

Close