Old topic New

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 25 July 2015
olesmokey posted this 18 May 2014

I just finished reading a nice article by Brian Pearce in the latest edition of Handloader Magazine, Issue 290. He revisits the old 38-44 loads. A  subscriber trying to deal with the current component shortage wishes to utilize components on hand to keep shooting .  Very good information.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 18 May 2014

I believe that the loads suggested probably exceed 25kpsi and most like run close to 30kpsi. While I might use such .38 Special loads in my Ruger Blackhawk .357, I fear that less prudent readers are going to needlessly shake apart their less robust .38 Specials with those loads which exceed even the so-called +P+ law enforcement loads, which run about 15% above industry +P standards.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

I like using the 38 cases for +P loads. I rarely want 357 magnum loads. I suppose there is always the danger in a land of people with free will that some will choose to inappropriately drive off a cliff. That doesnt mean that we cant carefully tailor loads for our own personal needs. I only own one 38 special revolver and never use it. I do have a collection of N frame magnums that I like to shoot beefed up special loads from. Just prudent use of the components at hand.

Attached Files

The more data like Brians that I see. The more I am assured that my loads are well within the safe and sane range.

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 06 June 2014

Ed, what about in a stainless GP-100 chambered for 38 spl only?

Duke

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 06 June 2014

GP in .38 Spl. Will.take steady diet of +P+

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

mckg posted this 06 June 2014

Was the GP in 38Sp available commercially or only made for Police Dpt's?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 06 June 2014

So far as I know they were all for police orders, but if a distributor wanted to order a case of ten guns they were in stock, but not advertised.

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 07 June 2014

Thank you Ed. That was my thinking but it is nice having it confirmed. I got mine from a neighbor , who bought it used at Cabelas. I mostly shoot 3.5 gr.was of something fast burning like Bullseye, or Promo, and whatever .358” cast bullet I have on hand. Primary targets are 4", 6", and 8” steel discs in the backyard range. However, I thinking about a 358156 in the lower crimp groove, with about 12.5 gr. of 2400.

Duke

Attached Files

mckg posted this 07 June 2014

Thanks Ed!

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 07 June 2014

When I had a 38spl Police Service Six and a GPNY (GP100 in 38 Spl, DAO), I tried a few of those 38-44 loads. They did indeed seem mighty hot. I just found my notes on those! Four different loads clocked from 1067 fps to 1160 fps on average. The 168gr LSWC clocked the fastest. I would never have tried them in anything less than the Rugers.

Attached Files

olesmokey posted this 14 June 2014

There are bigger and more powerful cartridges but the .38 Special sure is a handy versitile cartridge, economical too.

Attached Files

olesmokey posted this 14 June 2014

During the great .22 ammo shortage of.. now .. Ive seen rimfire ammo at over 75 bucks. I can buy 38 cal. bullets for $40 and can shoot 38 special for less than my .22 guns.Who ever thought that was possible.

Attached Files

olesmokey posted this 24 July 2015

I kinda wish I had a Marlin 94 in 357 Magnum. I could keep that thing loaded with some .38 special rounds for very little cash.

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 25 July 2015

You may already know this but Lee is releasing a RCBS clone of the 200gr. FN 358 and at $20 I got to get one. Tim Malcome has suggested them loaded in 38spl brass and “kicked in the pants” for use in the various 357 mags Owning two 357 rifles and three revolvers this mould is a gotta have. GP

Attached Files

olesmokey posted this 25 July 2015

I don't cast my bullets but I do appreciate heavy for caliber projectiles. I do load a lot of Missouri Bullets 180 grain RNFP and they are pretty good at knocking over the 9 inch steel plates at our action pistol match. I load these in .38 special brass at about 800-900 fps with imr4759 or aa5744.

Attached Files

Close