.32 S&W Long & .38 S&W Top Break Revolvers

• 4.7K Views
  • Last Post 25 September 2015
Millelacs posted this 04 April 2014

Lyman's current manuals state:

"We do not recommend the use of reloads in revolvers of the top break design due to their age and relative weakness."

Is this just for the lawyers, or is it a serious concern?

If it is a serious concern, how much should one download them?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 04 April 2014

I think they are being very cautious, due to the number of poorly made breakopens out there in poor condition. I have loaded the short. 32 S&W case with soft cast bullets, not heavier than 90 grains, using charges from 1 grain to 1.5 grains of Bullseye and they shot well in revolvers which were in good mechanical condition. Most of these old guns I have seen which were loosened up were abused by people shooting. 32 ACP ammunition in them. I use the Accurate 31-087T for loading the .32 ACP, .32 S&W and the S&W Long.  While designed for the .32 ACP, if ordering for use in revolvers you can specify a larger diameter.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

sfoster posted this 04 April 2014

Is there a Red Dot load that will work with this cartridge and bullet?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 04 April 2014

If you have a measure which will accurately measure 1 grain to 1.3 grains of Red Dot, that should be safe. In the .32 ACP Lyman lists 1.5 grains for 660 fps with an 85-grain bullet as a start load.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 07 April 2014

I seen in the past about 2 32 top break and talk with my gunsmith about them and he told me about them and also that is would cost more to fix them then what they are worth.I past on trying to get them after.Just wanted to let anyone know about it if they where wondering about it.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 07 April 2014

If you come across an S&W Pocket Hammerless in .32, or .38 S&W, in good mechanical condition, these are collectible and bring a good price, so are worth buying if they can be found reasonably.

The Iver-Johnsons and H&Rs in sound mechanical condition are OK if cheap, but pass on the Forehand and Wadsworth, Owl Head, Young America and other turn of the Century “no-name” brands.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 April 2014

There are nice fun guns out there pretty reasonable. This is an “as new", my poor picture, 1931 H&R 6 inch in 32 Long. $250 in Seattle last weekend. Ric

Attached Files

j35nut posted this 09 April 2014

Nice find Ric, she's beautiful .

-------J

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 13 April 2014

I have shot several different top breaks and I just load them with 3fg black and they are a hoot!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 14 April 2014

Yep, I like RB's in the 32 S&W and 313249 in 32 Longs with FFF black. They are fun plinkers! Ric

Attached Files

Chicken Men posted this 15 February 2015

Have a few of these H&R's with 5” and 6” barrels.  Target grips are a must. The bobbed grip is just too small.  Use 1.7 grains of Bullseye with the Hornady 90 grain HBWC and they are fairly accurate.  I only shoot double action with these guns and still shoot very well.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 August 2015

Chicken Men,

Dig the cat. Does he have extra toes? Part Maine Coon?

He should meet Teeger.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 25 September 2015

Ed Harris wrote: If you come across an S&W Pocket Hammerless in .32, or .38 S&W, in good mechanical condition, these are collectible and bring a good price, so are worth buying if they can be found reasonably.

The Iver-Johnsons and H&Rs in sound mechanical condition are OK if cheap, but pass on the Forehand and Wadsworth, Owl Head, Young America and other turn of the Century “no-name” brands. My 38 S&W is similar to yours, Ed, except that mine has an exposed hammer.  I shoot a 133 grain Lyman bullet with a starting load of Unique, it's surprisingly accurate.  Haven't done any formal accuracy testing, but it will stay on a beer can out to 25-30 yards if I do my part. 

I'm not going to go above that starting load, but it does not seem to stress the little gat any. 

I think the current Lyman manual's caveat is just lawyer repellent.  I'd sooner run my own handload, which I know is mild, than factory ammo.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 25 September 2015

As to the 32 S&W long, or Colt New Police, I shoot that in an older Colt DA revolver, but the best one I have for this is an old Officer's Model Heavy Barrel Match. I think this is a pre-war gun. Got it years ago at Ski's House of Guns in Idaho Falls (back when he was running it out of his house) - Ski gave me a good deal on it, asked me when I came in if I was interested in “this oddball caliber". This revolver has a great SA trigger pull. The only thing I don't like about it, is if I miss, I know it's 100% my own fault!

Attached Files

Close