.32 S&W long reloads

• 10K Views
  • Last Post 02 May 2014
Quailman posted this 28 February 2014

I have recently loaded some .32 S&W long cartridges for use in my S&W 31 revolvers, with 2.5 grains of Red Dot and the 98 grain RCBS  flat point bullet. It shoots well, burns cleanly, and cartridges eject easily. Red Dot is bulkier than Bullseye for the same weight, so I was able to use Little Dandy powder rotors I already had-I still haven't bought the elusive “0” and “00", rotors, and  I have several pounds of Red Dot. Is this load too hot? I enjoy shooting these little guns, and don't want to abuse them. Also, would 2.5 of Red Dot be excessive with a 115 grain 32-20 bullet?  I will eventually try Ed's loads with Bullseye, but wanted to load with what i had on hand. Also, does any one have experience with  Red Dot and wadcutters in the .32 Long? Thanks to all in advance for your help.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 28 February 2014

In my reference library, I can not find any listed loads for 2.5 grains of Red Dot for 98/100 grain bullets. Most stop at 2.1 grains as the maximum. HTH< Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 February 2014

Most recent source of tested data I have is Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition (2010).

On p.238 they list a range of 2.1 grains of Red Dot to start, up to 2.7 grs. max., with the 85-grain #313249, 85-grain roundnose, at 1.21” OAL. They list no. 32 S&W Long data with heavier bullets, but in the. 32 H&R Mag. data over on p.241 they list 2 grs. of Red Dot with the 100-grain Saeco #326 at 1.305” OAL at only 14,300cup. The fly in the ointment is overall cartridge length, because in.32 S&W Long brass, the #326 Saeco is going to give you about 1.17” OAL, and when seated shorter I think you will be running higher pressures around 20,000 cup. That is only a guess, but is a reasonable assumption. The S&W Model 31 is a strong gun, but I would not go over 2 grains, and even if that seems OK, I would treat it as a “+P” equivalent for occasional.hunting use only, so as not to prematurely loosen a nice revolver.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 01 March 2014

The Lyman #313249 is seated very shallowly if you use the crimp groove as cast. This has the highest velocity for 32 Long data. I lube and size these in WW's (86 grains) with a flat nosed punch which makes 50% flat nose profile. I load these with 2.7 grains of SR7625 which is 0.3 grains below the minimum start load, but they shoot right to point of aim.

Sorry I don't have any Red Dot experience with the little calibers when there are easier powders to work with.

FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

j35nut posted this 01 March 2014

I have shot some of the RCBS 98 gr SWC with 2.5 gr. Red dot, 778 fps out of my Mod 31.

The RCBS Cast bullet manuel #1 (1986) list's Red Dot with the RCBS 98 WC. They used a Mod 31 S&W .

The starting load is 1.8 GR Red Dot for 685 FPS. RCBS 98 WC.

The Max load is 2 gr Red Dot for 778 FPS. RCBS 98 WC .

With the RCBS 98 WC and 1.8 gr Red Dot I got 722 fps in my Mod 31.

This is a pretty good read on 32 SW Long .

http://www.lasc.us/fryxellthe32s-wlong.htm#Addendum

Unless you have some adjustable sights on your Mod 31, I would stick with 98 to 100 gr bullet's, you will get a more harmonious outcome.:)

Good Luck ---- J

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 01 March 2014

Thanks for the Fryxell link! I liked the article enough to print it for my stash. I have been considering equipping my daughters with .32 revolvers but am ignorant of the choices. I know a .38 Sp is much more common but they are petite and recoil shy. I've lately been looking at Charter Arms in various chamberings but am interested in older S&Ws too.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 01 March 2014

For a lady's gun the 3", round-butt S&W Model 30 is about ideal. The square butt Model 31 with 4” barrel is a good choice for field or purse carry where concealment ability is less of an issue.

The Colt Police Positive in. 32 Colt New Police with either 3” or 4” barrel is also a great choice, if you are lucky enough to find one, and the post WW2 guns are sturdy enough to load to. 32 H&R Mag. levels. I recently sold both of my J-frame .32 Smiths to fellows whose wives fell in love with them.  So my primary .32 bunny guns are a 4” Colt Police Positive Special and a customized round-butt K-frame, which used to be a .38 Special.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Quailman posted this 01 March 2014

I also read the Fyxell article, and that is where I got the 2.5 grain Red Dot load. He stated that is was more likely to be accurate in multiple guns than 3.0 grains of 231. Also, my RCBS cast bullet manual lists 3.0 grains of  Red dot as a start load in the .32 H&R, so I thought 2.5 grains wouldn't be too far off base in the Long. I guess that will teach me to think. Ed, one of my regrets is that took too long to decide on a 1960s era Police Positive .32 at the local Cabelas , and someone else bought it. When a 4” 31 showed up in a nearby pawn shop, I didn't make the same mistake twice. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Attached Files

Quailman posted this 01 March 2014

Ed, could you share details on that converted K-frame?

Attached Files

noylj posted this 02 May 2014

I only shoot wadcutters. For 98-100gn wadcutters, start loads for Red Dot from various manuals range from 1.6gn to 1.8gn and max loads range from 1.8gn to 2.0gn, with 1.7gn being the “accurate” load from several sources.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 02 May 2014

Quailman wrote: Ed, could you share details on that converted K-frame? That revolver became an idea when I stumbled across a K32 cylinder in a fellow's parts bin at the Richmond (VA) Gun Show about ten years ago.   A friend had a roundbutt Model 15 which he used to carry on the job, but it was worn out and when he retired he was wanting to sell it. I took the gun, and cylinder and a bag of loose parts to a retired FBI gunsmith in Fredericksburg, VA.  I asked him to built a “PPC Gun Scaled to Bunny Wabbitt Dimensions” and he knew exactly what I meant. The barrel was machined from a piece of 14-inch twist Obermeyer 7.62 NATO barrel, slab-sided to the width of the frame and slotted along its length for a piece of top rib and front sight he machined from a piece of bar stock, slid into the slot, screwed down and glued with Black Max, so that it stay there.  He fitted a crane ball lockup and used a Ron Power oversized parts kit. Trigger is a .312” wide, smooth S&W “combat” trigger.  Standard duty hammer. In doing the action he smoothed everything up, but left the hammer throw at max. as he would for a duty gun, so that I could use small rifle primers and set them off. Grips are India ebony from Eagle Grips.   Cylinder throats of the 1940s era cylinder are .314", the barrel is .299x.308, one turn in 14” with 6 degree forcing cone. 2” off Ransom Rest at 50 yards with my best loads.   Ragged holes DA at 50 feet. My usual load is Saeco #325 with 2.5 grains of Bullseye, about 850 fps from the 4-inch barrel.   

Attached Files

Close