Springfield 1903 or 03A3-mounting a 6x scope?

• 12K Views
  • Last Post 04 May 2017
aap2 posted this 26 January 2014

I have a Rem 1903 Springfield as issued (1942) in good shape and would like to mount a 6x scope on it (can't see the issue open sights) for eventual use in a modified military match but I'm not sure of which scope mounting system to use.  I see that a lot of shooters seem to use the 1903A3 springfield instead of the 1903 like I have; is the 03A3 better suited to mounting a 6x scope?  I see that many of the A4 “sniper” rifles seem to be based on the 1903A3; I would be using a 6x Burris scope.  Thanks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 26 January 2014

Both the 03 and the 03A3 are not terrific for mounting scopes. The 03 will need a scout mount and a long relief scope due to the rear sights . The 03A3 has a couple after market mounts that are not great, one has to replace the magazine selector switch to mount the scope base and that completely subtracts bolt removal function unless you remove the scope mount, the other mounts on the rear sight dovetail with rear site removed and has a pressure screw against the receiver. Neither hold zero well and notoriously just fall off. The best option is a smithy mounted base with tapped holes into your receiver. Still in all  cases except smithy work you are left with a bolt that opens very close to the stock wood and no practical way of raising the cheek for scope view alignment to your eye....and a scope that is really REALLY high. I hope you get better suggestions as I have an 03A3 that I would like to scope and I have a brand new B-Square scope mount in the box that I didn't understand when I bought it that bolt removal function would be lost when using this mount and scope height is ridiculously high for the stock and eye alignment! I need help on this as much as you do. Fortunately, I have an aperture for my eyeglasses and this makes the open sight view completely sharp for my old eyes and the rifle groups less than 1/2” at 50 yards with my favorite cast load. The rifle really shoots well with open sights and is usable for hunting as is. It is probably going to stay that way unless I come up with a practical mount with good eye view and full function of the rifle. Gary

Attached Files

aap2 posted this 26 January 2014

Thanks Onodaga; I can see that scoping this rifle won't be easy..I appreciate the info.

Attached Files

rwjshooter posted this 26 January 2014

Hi Guys This probably not what you want to hear I had the same idea and tried the mount in the mag selectorin short it was a piece of junk,, tossed it in the garbageI bit the bullet and mounted a 6x malcome on Unertl basesand am now happy a little costly yes, but I am happy Ramon

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 26 January 2014

Hit a few gun shows and find a sporterized 03 or 03A3 that had been drilled and tapped already and leave your rifle in original configuration. Even then unless your rifle has a scant or a C stock comb height will be problem, even with a low mount, and you may want to add a lace on cheek piece.

Attached Files

giorgio the slim one posted this 27 January 2014

Thirty years ago I got a base  for my 03A3 from Numruch,oe big piece of aluminum ,clamping on the rear sight base. On the front base there was a ring embracing the action, but I hd the action drilled and tapped and I put one screw. A cannibal 's work ,that I wish I have not done.  On the stock I put a leather cheek piece from the M1 Garand. The scope was high and the bolt   handle was not modified. I would advice againt any modification on an origal issue rifle ,find a sporterized (ruined) rifle ands play with it . Drill & tap  for rational bases ,bend the bolt  handle and put on a sporter stock with a  montecarlo cheehpiece ,if you want to shoot a Springfield with a scope.

Attached Files

fRANK46 posted this 02 February 2014

Check out brownell's catalog or go oline. Look under scopr rings and bases. I still think that redfield/leupold are still making the redfield junior base for the 03A3 springfiels. Me i'd probably go with steel weaver bases and burris zee rings. Don't know if that is legal in the matches you shoot in or not. Frank

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 02 February 2014

I have a o3a3 that I bought about 20 years ago at a gun show that was already drilled for bases. Problem was what bases? Every gun shop I went to couldn't figure it out. I contacted the dealer I bought it from and he had no idea either. But he told me to send the gun to him and he would drill and tap it then mount a Redfield Jr. base on it. Because of the heat treating on the o3a3 receivers he broke 4 drill bits trying to drill the holes. It took him over a month to get it back to me. So, as mentioned above, if you really want a scope on one I would keep looking for one done already and leave your fine specimens alone. Not to add any fuel on the fire for making you anxious or anything, BUT, my o3a3 is probably one of my most accurate if not my most accurate and consistent shooting rifles I have. It's also the gun I used to take my biggest deer with, cast bullet no less. Have patience for the right gun to turn up.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

giorgio the slim one posted this 03 February 2014

In the early eighties of the last century I got a Remington 03A3 built in 1943,in very good outside conditions.The bore was a 4 grooves,finely pitted by the use of corrosive primed ammo. I got a  2 grooves new in cosmolene barrel from Numrich and had it installed here in Italy. Now they made those things impossible, not illegal but practically impossible. Being young and foolish I made a lot of modifications that ruined its collectors value. I did put on it a scope base from S&K that is now for sale. On the rear there is a clamp that clamps the original 03A3 peep sight base. On the front was provided with a ring enbracing the action and tightened by a screw.Flimsy arrangement. My gunsmith,softened the action steel in a small spot and then drilled and tapped for a 4 mm european screw. It was a sturdy scope mounthigh enough ,e that required no binding of the bolt handle , An M1 Garand  lesther stock cheekpiece was added. It was a satisfactory modification for shooting cast bullets with a Springfield rifle. I enjoyed much good shooting with this combo of a new barrel and mint action.  Changing my mind I wanted to shoot it from the prone at 300 meters,I tried an original Buffington sight,but I was unable to see the sights properly. I had more luck with a Lyman target peep sight and the 17A target front sight. I was able to hit the black most of the times. Once my son Andrea was able to shoot the 60 round UIT  target match putting all the rounds in the paper. I was using ,in the same match a Remington Enfield US Model of '!7,with a SMLE Fine regulation peep and a Lyman 17A front sight. Not a Match for heavy barreled 6PPC competition hardware,but we shot for fun not for winning. Putting them all in the paper ,black or White ,was our aim. Now I have an optic fiber front sight ,and use the Lyman peep as a ghost sight and merrily shoot from offhand standing at the poor steel plates of Acqui Terme. The distance is 60 yards.      

Attached Files

giorgio the slim one posted this 03 February 2014

This is the action of the 03A3 whose collector value I destroyed many years ago. If sombody wants to scope an already       modified 03A3 the scope base is for sale ,or better trade. Just send me as many   fiber optic rifle front sight you think are appropriate,after having received my S&K base. I have also a  naked bent bolt 03A3 bolt I have no use for. The round Yellow labels are the sign of the range officer accepting the rifle in a UIT Match.   

Attached Files

Alstep posted this 13 March 2014

Try Creedmoor Sports http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/home.php

The CMP also has a scope & mount www.odcmp.com

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 14 March 2014

My 3 'parts guns' , '03 and 2 03A3's were drilled and tapped when I picked them up. One of the A3's had Leupold/Redfield one piece base holes and the other had Weaver spacing . I had no idea Weaver made 03A3 bases for them! Every Springfield Ive had , had the Leupold/Redfield spacing until this one. My pristine 44RA 03A3 will never see a scope .

Attached Files

Premod70 posted this 06 June 2016

Post your thoughts on the CMP.org forum, mention a trade for a scoped rifle and in no time you will have several PM's offering such. There are several guys on that site that convert drill rifles and do a fine job of it, you may also have some additional money coming your way if the Remington is one of more rarer versions. Please don't ruin a original rifle, besides drilling the action you will have to modify the bolt and stock to mount a proper scope.

Forrest Gump is my smarter brother.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 June 2016

kinda like putting lipstick on a warrior, but how 'bout

putting on a red dot....epoxy it on so it doesn;t alter the condition . surface area is the key to using epoxy .

they have some with magnification .

ken

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 08 June 2016

By all means buy a 03 or 03A3 that is already drilled and tapped and don't ruin a nice collectable rifle. If the rifle is already set up for a scope you are halfway there. If you start with one that is not it will require two or three holes (depending on base used)drilled and tapped and will probably need spot annealing before drilling. A4 bolts are available but extremely expensive, but Numrich has copies, either stripped or complete for a lot less money. Unless you buy a vintage scope like a Lyman Alaskan it will sit too far back to clear the safety so a scope safety will be needed. A C stock is not essential but will give better control, with the scant stock as a second, cheaper, option. The CMP has C stocks for the 03 that only need a little work to cut a groove for the handguard ring and minor fitting and are well proportioned (just did one and I am no woodworker). With cast bullets these rifles are accurate and fun i.e don't beat your shoulder to death.

Attached Files

Steve762 posted this 03 May 2017

S&K make an Instamount that is unique to the 03 Springfield, and a slightly different model for the 1903 A3's.  No drilling, it mounts up rock solid and doesn't come loose.  Its worth the price of $79.  Is it secure?  Most definitely, you could use it as a carry handle.  Some minor dremel work inside the lower stock to allow room for the band nut is all that would be required, and this is not going to be seen by anyone.   You will want a modified bolt handle most likely, as you would with almost any scope installation.

No holes need to be drilled, preserving your piece of history.  I found I had to do some very slight filing on the U-nut (part of installation hardware) to avoid contact with the bolt.   The parts are very nicely fabricated and finished steel.  Installed correctly, it becomes an integral piece of the rifle.  I repeat, absolutely no modification of the actual barreled action is needed, just some very slight wood removal inside the stock, no bigger than a pea.

Just make certain when you order an S&K mount, you get the unit for an 03 as it is a different part number than for the 03 A3.   Below is a picture of the 03 mount on my sporter.

oS&K 1903 Springfield mount

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 04 May 2017

I solved the issue by mounting a Unertl on my built-up 1903A1. No need to bend the bolt handle, and that style scope is available from a couple hundred $ to as much as you wish to spend, the same as any quality "modern" target scope.

Attached Files

Close